Visiting scholars will be integrated into one of our research laboratories, and the department will provide visiting scholars with access to our BioWorkshop, TerrapinWorks, the Maryland Nanocenter, and other shared campus research resources. Visiting scholars will also have the opportunity to participate in BIOE and campus programs, including our weekly seminar series, graduate student or post-doc groups, and Pathway-to-Faculty program. Scholars may request up to $1,000 per month to defray travel costs and/or living expenses. Visiting scholar positions are for up to six months, with an option to renew the position for an additional six months.
The Fischell Department of Bioengineering at the University of Maryland is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. Visiting scholar applicants should have a background underrepresented in STEM; must be senior graduate students or postdoctoral fellows interested in a faculty position in bioengineering; and must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Procedure for Applying to be a Visiting Scholar at the Fischell Department of Bioengineering:
- Please send your visiting scholar request to Erica Benkert (firstname.lastname@example.org). Requests must include the following documents as a single PDF file:
- Brief statement of the research to be undertaken while you are a visiting scholar and justification of how the Fischell Department of Bioengineering resources will assist your research.
- A letter of support from your advisor
- An indication of whether you need office space and/or a stipend
- The dates of your proposed visit
- Applications are accepted year round and will be reviewed twice a year. Requests to visit during the spring semester (starting February 1) must be received by Dec 1 of the previous year. Requests to visit during the fall semester (starting September 1) must be received by June 1 of the same year. Applicants will be notified of the decision by December 31st or June 30th.
- If accepted as a visiting scholar, any University administrative services fees, such as parking, will be paid by the visiting scholar.
Coordinator of Administration
Fischell Department of Bioengineering
Phone: (301) 405-9673