Values core to the department's identity and how each member conducts his or her work - organized around each department's strategic goal - include:
- Innovation: forward-thinking, high-quality, and creative research and educational approaches
- Integrity: upholding scientific and academic ethics
- Utility: conducting research with real-world application
- Impact: respect for and commitment to advancing human health
Reputation for Innovation and Impact
- Leadership: working on the frontier of bioengineering research to pave the way for new breakthroughs
- Outreach: sustained connection and engagement with local and broad community needs
- Student experience: commitment to enhancing student learning, welfare, and community while at the University of Maryland
- Student success: setting students up for career success beyond their time at the University of Maryland
- Cohesion and inclusivity: building an inclusive community driven by collaborative partnerships
- Diversity: building a community that respects and actively engages diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Transparency: maintaining open communication across all department stakeholders
Department differentiators equip the department to advance their mission and distinguish themselves from competitors, helping to attract top students, faculty, and staff.
Location Near Washington, D.C.
The department is located in one of the top five biotech regions in the country, close to both federal agencies and national laboratories. This competitive access to new research opportunities and high-impact partnerships can help attract top students and researchers from around the nation.
Breadth and Impact of Research
The department has research strengths in biomedicine, biological sciences, and biomedical devices. This diversity of strengths drives innovation through new collaborations across fields and empowers faculty to tackle new topics.
Cutting-Edge Resources and Outstanding Personnel
State-of-the-art infrastructure and tools, as well as faculty with a breadth of academic and industry experience, equip the department to tackle problems at the forefront of bioengineering.
Supportive and Collegial Community
The department fosters a collaborative, collegial environment that empowers and values diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Investment in Student Success
The department invests in students' experience at the University and their success in future careers, equipping them for work in both academia and industry. Faculty are committed to self - and peer - assessment, continually improving their teaching techniques and student outcomes.
Opportunities for Translation and Societal Impact
The department is innovative and forward-thinking, with demonstrated success in translating research to achieve tangible societal impact. Students engage in this work to address critical bioengineering challenges.
The department has strong relationships within and outside the University of Maryland - including with the Robert E. Fischell Institute for Biomedical Devices and UMD Medical School - which expands research capabilities and training opportunities for students.
The department is young and rapidly growing, remaining nimble and responsive to critical needs in the field while building a research core that will launch it into prominence and leadership.
1. Research Excellence: Apply engineering principles to expand knowledge of and solve problems associated with biological systems
The department employs innovative research approaches, working across disciplines to solve complex problems. This research informs their translation and entrepeneurism work, enhances the education they provide students, and can yield breakthroughs that will then be broadly communicated locally, nationally, and globally. The department's research excellence is supported by a collegial and collaborative working environment.
2. Scientific/Technology Translation: Lead translation of new knowledge into practice and products
By translating research findings into new practices and products, the department can meet key societal needs within human and environmental health. The department's translation work provides experiential learning opportunities for students and strengthens the department's reputation with industry and funders.
3. Reputation for Innovation and Impact: Be widely recognized locally, nationally, and internationally
Shining light on the department's work maximizes the impact of their research findings and translation successes. Communicating these successes to stakeholders maintains support for the department and can bolster the department's funding. As such, initiatives to disseminate the department's work and broadcast its collective accomplishments are central to the department's strategic plan and future operations.
4. Education: Provide curriculum, programs, and mentoring that equip the next generation of bioengineers for success in their careers
The department is invested in helping students succeed both during and beyond their time at the University, equipping students for diverse careers in both academia and industry. The department also strongly emphasizes experiential learning, drawing students into research and translational work.
5. Collegiality: Establish and maintain an inclusive and collaborative ecosystem of diverse backgrounds and perspectives
Collaboration can help uncover innovative approaches to addressing complex problems. Additionally, the success of each member of the department is driven by the support of colleagues. As a result, the department is committed to welcoming, engaging, and empowering individuals with diverse backgrounds in a collegial and supportive environment.