- Capstone 2017: Projects Focus on Pediatric Care, Physical Therapy, Pulmonary Tumors, and More
- Capstone 2016: New Projects Focus on Improved Healthcare for Underserved Communities, Pediatric Patients, and More
- Capstone 2015: New Projects Focus on Sensorineural Hearing Loss, Injury Rehabilitation, and More
- Capstone 2014: New Projects Focus on Cardiological Health, Surgical Tools and More
- Capstone 2013: New Products Focus on Diagnostics, Physical Therapy and More
- Capstone 2012: Innovations in Emergency Medicine, Diagnostic Tools, Physical Therapy, and More
- Capstone 2011: Improved Diagnostics and Monitoring, Surgical Devices, and Personal Technology
- Capstone 2010: Devices for Diagnostics, Improved Treatments, and Personal Health
- Capstone 2009: Devices for Doctors, Caregivers, Patients and Public Health
- 2008 Capstone Projects Address Human Health, Environmental Concerns
- 2007: Projects Come Together at Capstone II
All bioengineering and biocomputational engineering undergraduate students take part in a two-semester Capstone design course at the end of their undergraduate program. This course features guest speakers and gives students the opportunity to engage in discussion on current issues in bioengineering such as ethics, clinical trials, regulatory processes, venture capitalism, business principles, and entrepreneurship. In Capstone, teams of students, under the guidance of faculty and mentors, utilize what they have learned throughout their undergraduate studies to create their own engineering designs from concept to product.
2023 Capstone Competition Information:
The Fischell Department of Bioengineering hosted the 2023 Senior Capstone Design Competition on Monday, May 8th, at the University of Maryland, College Park campus. Read about this year's competition winners and all 24 student teams, including the first-ever teams from UMD's Biocomputational Engineering Program.
Past Capstone Competitions:
- Capstone 2022: BIOE Capstone Competition Highlights 24 Novel Projects
- Capstone 2021: Projects Focus on Medical Devices, AI, and More
- Capstone 2020: BIOE Capstone Class Virtually Presents 24 Novel Projects
- Capstone 2019: BIOE Capstone Class Presents 20 Novel Projects
- Capstone 2018: Projects Focus on Point of Care Diagnostics, Sickle Cell Disease, Neonatal Care, and More
The Fischell Department of Bioengineering Capstone Design Course and competition is made possible with the support of our generous sponsors. We thank them for their contributions.