In the Summer of 2020, the Fischell Department of Bioengineering established a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee, consisting of volunteer faculty, staff, graduate, and undergraduate members. The committee meets once a month to have open, candid, and challenging discussions about DEI efforts across the department as well as the field of bioengineering at large. In addition, committee sub-groups focused on key areas – such as programming, recruitment, faculty hires, and research support – meet on a regular basis and report to the full group via Slack, email, and other means to further initiatives.
Chaired by BIOE Associate Chair of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Alisa Clyne, the committee aims to foster crucial conversations across the department and amplify the voices of underrepresented students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Copies of recent meeting minutes and agendas are available upon request. Those who are interested in serving on the committee should contact Dr. Clyne.
Current Committee Members:
- Alisa Clyne, Associate Chair, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Alisa White, Ph.D. Student
- Abby Shantzis, Coordinator for Academic & Student Affairs
- Ambi Narula, Public Relations Specialist
- Bardia Yousefi, Biocomputational Engineering Faculty Instructor
- Brain Blair, Lecturer
- Erica Benkert, Coordinator of Administration
- Ian White, Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies
- Katharina Maisel, Assistant Professor
- Shannon McLaughlin, Ph.D student