- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Florida State University
- Ph.D. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Johns Hopkins University
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Biophysical Society
- Controlled Release Society
- American Thoracic Society
Honors and Awards
- 2018: Oak Ridge Associated Universities Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Award
- 2017: Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award at the Scientific Interface
- 2017: Gordon Research Conference Carl Storm Fellowship
- 2016: Johns Hopkins Center for Nanomedicine Research Excellence Award
- 2015: Society of Rheology Meeting Best Poster Award
- 2014: NIH NHLBI Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2010: NSF IGERT Graduate Fellowship
- 2009: Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering William H. Schwarz Fellowship
Complex biological fluids & interfaces, nanoscale diagnostics & therapeutics, lung diseases
Our research is focused on using nanotechnology and bioengineering as tools to broaden understanding of the lung airway microenvironment in order to develop state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic approaches. These efforts are built on our group’s expertise in designing novel measurement schemes, capable of shedding new light on previously unstudied aspects of the lung airways. The nature of this work requires an interdisciplinary and collaborative approach where we work closely with basic and clinical scientists in order to successfully work towards our research goals. Specific project areas in our laboratory include:
- Nanoscale biophysics of lung airway mucus clearance
- Nanobiosensors of lung disease
- Host-pathogen interactions in respiratory infections (e.g. influenza)
- Overcoming physiological barriers to drug & gene delivery
BIOE331 - Biofluids
- Duncan GA*, Kim N*, Colon-Cortes Y, Rodriguez J, Mazur M, Birket SE, Rowe SM, West NE, Livraghi-Butrico A, Boucher RC, Hanes J, Aslanidi G, Suk JS. “An adeno-associated viral vector capable of penetrating the mucus barrier to inhaled gene therapy”. Molecular Therapy: Methods & Clinical Development. 9, 296-304, 2018.
- Duncan GA, Jung J, Joseph A, Thaxton AL, West NE, Boyle MP, Hanes J, Suk JS. “Microstructural Alterations of Sputum in Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease”. JCI Insight, 1(18), e88198, 2016.
- Duncan GA, Jung J, Hanes J, Suk JS. “The Mucus Barrier to Inhaled Gene Therapy”. Molecular Therapy. 24(12), 2043-53, 2016.
- Duncan GA, Gerecht S, Fairbrother DH, Bevan MA. “Diffusing Colloidal Probes of kT- scale Biomaterial-Cell Interactions”. Langmuir. 32(46), 12212-20, 2016.
- Duncan GA, Fairbrother DH, Bevan MA. “Diffusing Colloidal Probes of Cell Surfaces”. Soft Matter, 12(21), 4731-8, 2016.
- Duncan GA, Bevan MA. “Computational Design of Nanoparticle Drug Delivery Systems for Selective Targeting”. Nanoscale, 7(37), 15332-40, 2015.
Full listing of publications available on Google Scholar.