Associate Chair and Director of Undergraduate Studies
White Research Group
Ph.D., Stanford University, 2002
The White Research Group develops integrated microsystems for the diagnosis and study of disease at the cellular and molecular level. Using a combination of microfabrication techniques, we are implementing micro total analysis systems (uTAS) for three major research thrusts.
- Infectious disease detection. Using novel techniques, we aim to implement a uTAS that concentrates pathogens from large volume samples, recovers nucleic acids, and quantifies pathogens in the sample based on DNA signature biosensing.
- Understanding cancer metastasis. We are developing a new on-chip assay to identify and enrich highly tumorigenic cells using techniques in microfabrication, chemistry, and cancer biology.
- Point-of-sample chemical/biomolecule detection. We have developed novel 3D optofluidic surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) scaffolds in uTAS devices to enable low-cost portable detection of chemicals and biomolecules, including pesticides, explosives, and industrial toxins.
- Wei W. Yu and Ian M. White, Chromatographic separation and detection of target analytes from complex samples using inkjet printed SERS substrates, Analyst, in press.
- Katayoon Saadin, Jeffrey M. Burke, Neerav P. Patel, Rebecca E. Zubajlo, and Ian M. White, Enrichment of tumor-initiating breast cancer cells within a mammosphere-culture microdevice, Biomedical Microdevices, DOI:10.1007/s10544-013-9755-y.
- Wei W. Yu and Ian M. White, Inkjet-Printed Paper-Based SERS Dipsticks and Swabs for Trace Chemical Detection, Analyst, 138, 1020-1025, 2013. DOI:10.1039/C2AN36116G. (outside front cover)
- Soroush H. Yazdi and Ian M. White, Multiplexed detection of aquaculture fungicides using a pump-free optofluidic SERS microsystem, Analyst, 138, 100-103, 2013. DOI:10.1039/C2AN36232E.
- Soroush H. Yazdi and Ian M. White, An Optofluidic SERS Microsystem for Sensitive and Repeatable On-Site Detection of Chemical Contaminants, Analytical Chemistry, 84, 7992-7998, 2012. DOI:10.1021/ac301747b.
- Katayoon Saadin and Ian M. White, Breast cancer stem cell enrichment and isolation by mammosphere culture and its potential diagnostic applications, Expert Reviews of Molecular Diagnostics, 13, 49-60, 2013. DOI:10.1586/erm.12.117.
- Ian M. White, Soroush H. Yazdi, and Wei W. Yu, Optofluidic SERS: synergizing photonics and microfluidics for chemical and biological analysis, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 12, 205-216, 2012. DOI:10.1007/s10404-012-0962-2
- Wei W. Yu and Ian M. White, A simple filter-based approach to surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy for trace chemical detection, Analyst, 137, 168-173, 2012. DOI:10.1039/C2AN15947C.
- Soroush H. Yazdi and Ian M. White, A nanoporous optofluidic microsystem for highly sensitive and repeatable SERS detection, Biomicrofluidics, 6, 014105, 2012. DOI:10.1063/1.3677369. (selected for publication in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology and the Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research)
- Xudong Fan and Ian M. White, Optofluidic microsystems for chemical and biological analysis, Nature Photonics, 5, 591-597, 2011. DOI:10.1038/nphoton.2011.206.
- I-Jane Chen and Ian M. White, High-sensitivity electrochemical enzyme-linked assay on a microfluidic interdigitated microelectrode, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 26, 4375-4381, 2011. DOI:10.1016/j.bios.2011.04.044.
- Wei W. Yu and Ian M. White, Inkjet Printed Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy Array on Cellulose Paper, Analytical Chemistry 82, 9626-9630, 2010. DOI:10.1021/ac102475k.
- Jikun Liu, Ian M. White, and Don L. DeVoe, Nanoparticle-Functionalized Porous Polymer Monolith Detection Elements for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering, Analytical Chemistry, 83, 2119-2124, 2011. DOI:10.1021/ac102932d.
- I. M. White and X. Fan, "On the performance quantification of resonant refractive index sensors," Optics Express 16, 1020-1028 (2008).
- I. M. White, J. Gohring, and X. Fan, "SERS-based detection in an optofluidic ring resonator platform," Optics Express 15, 17433-17442 (2007).
- I. M. White, J. Gohring, Y. Sun, G. Yang, S. Lacey, and X. Fan, "Versatile waveguide-coupled opto-fluidic devices based on liquid core optical ring resonators," Applied Physics Letters 94, 241104 (2007).
- I. M. White, J. D. Suter, H. Oveys, X. Fan, T. L. Smith, J. Zhang, B. J. Koch, and M. A. Haase, "Universal coupling between metal-clad waveguides and optical ring resonators," Optics Express 15, 646-651 (2007).
- I. M. White, H. Zhu, J. D. Suter, N. M. Hanumegowda, H. Oveys, M. Zourob, and X. Fan, "Refractometric Sensors for Lab-on-a-Chip Based on Optical Ring Resonators," IEEE Sensors Journal 7, 28-35 (2007).
- I. M. White, H. Oveys, X. Fan, T. L. Smith, and J. Zhang, "Integrated Multiplexed Biosensors Based on Liquid Core Optical Ring Resonators and Anti-Resonant Reflecting Optical Waveguide," Applied Physics Letters 89, 191106 (2006).
- I. M. White, H. Oveys, and X. Fan, "Increasing the enhancement of SERS with dielectric microsphere resonators," April 1 issue of Spectroscopy (2006).
- I. M. White, H. Oveys, and X. Fan, "Liquid Core Optical Ring Resonator Sensors," Optics Letters 31, 1319-1321 (2006).